Saturday, January 21, 2012

Getting Floored

   Our house turned out to be better than we could have imagined. But, it wasn't entirely smooth sailing. We had agreed upon a budget and then adjusted accordingly to stay within it. If the cost of something was going to affect our bottom line, we either did without or paid out of pocket.

   One of the instances where we needed to make such a decision was on the floors. We knew we would be in the house forever and it would be easier to get the floors we wanted now as opposed to later. So, with toddlers, we splurged on wood and a good carpet in the living area. Funny thing about that was you pay up front, in full, to have it put back for later.  There was just no way we could do that. No credit cards, remember?

  We shopped around and found what really were the most practical choices, awesome, but practical. But, without the money, couldn't afford to reserve it. A day or two later, I got a notice in the mail from Spartanburg District 7. I hadn't been a teacher for District 7 since May 1st of 2007, and this was now July of 2010. Teacher's retirement was notifying me that I had an unknown amount in my account and if not returning to teach, could withdraw it, with a penalty. I knew it couldn't be much, I had only taught in SC for one year and that year had ended abruptly when Emerson came early. I called anyway, just to see.
   I spoke with a very nice woman who informed me that I had a little over $3000 in my retirement fund, plus a bonus for being in a high risk job and not filing any injury claims. (For those new in the audience, I taught in a self-contained unit for emotionally disturbed youth.) I didn't even know that was a real thing! In 3 years, I had never heard a word about it. Between not completing the school year and Emerson's health insurance, I had interacted with the district quite a bit in between and never knew about this money. Within the week, I received a "thank you for your service" letter and my check for just under $4000. Minus $38, my penalty for withdrawing it early.



Killer floors provided by the great state of South Carolina.
 God did things just like that throughout the building of the house. Every time it seemed like this could be a disaster or was taking way too long, God would come through in some way that said, "Hang in there, this is exactly what you're supposed to be doing. I'm going to see it through, just trust me."

 And He did......so we did. We were supposed to move in, in July. We moved in early November, 2 weeks before Berk's 2nd birthday and 3 weeks before our Christmas program. Remember that small window before our busy season? This wasn't it, lots went out that window. But, that's a story for a different time.






Heck, Yes Zebra!

   The house was beautiful and we loved it. I loved it. I really did. We had Pumpkin's birthday party, had the Christmas program and exactly five days later our season in the wilderness began. Not everyone can go back and give a specific date for such a season, but I can. December 13th. I know the day, the event and almost the hour that our whole world was turned upside down and shaken. And it was one month after we moved in.




No comments: